We are living in an unprecedented time in the history of our world. Unprecedented times call for unprecedented responses. What might you do to stay calm during this historic time of the coronavirus?
Around the world, we are seeing people pull together to love and support each other. Communities are setting up online groups to offer companionship to those people who live alone and now find themselves in complete isolation. Neighbors are reaching out to those who need assistance with food and other supplies.
It’s scary yet heart-warming at the same time.
What would it take to focus less on what frightens you and more on the heart-warming part?
- Reduce the amount of time you watch the news. It’s important to stay up to date, especially with everything changing around us. But it’s equally important to balance the news with an activity that makes you feel at peace. What makes your heart feel safe?
- Call a family member or friend. Be open about your feelings and ask what they are doing to feel better about the current state of global affairs.
- Re-read one of your favorite books. This time underline lightly with a pencil all the words that bring you joy and hope.
- Stretch those muscles with gentle yoga or with easy exercises sitting in a chair. Take a walk if permitted and safe.
- Journal your thoughts and feelings to give recognition and validation to where you are right now. Remember, whatever you are feeling, it’s okay. You are where you are.
- Listen to podcasts that make you laugh or feel good in your heart. This post suggests 23 of the best podcasts for 2020.
- Meditate daily by focusing on your breath, turning inward, and asking your heart what it needs. I’ve begun releasing daily meditations to facilitate you through easy 10-minute sessions to reset your mind and spirit.
These may be uncertain times, but you will feel so much better if you make it a priority to take up activities that make your heart feel better. Feel free to share your ideas in the comments below!